Going to your first appointment with an audiologist can be nerve-wracking. You don’t quite know what to expect, let alone what to do or even ask. There is so much going on. So here are some questions you might want to consider taking with you to your first appointment to ask and take notes on.
- What should I expect? This is a blanket question that can be further broken down. Ask what you should expect to take place during the first appointment? What you should expect in subsequent appointments? What to expect during the hearing test? What to expect if you decide to get hearing aids? What to expect in life with new hearing aids? What to expect when it comes to others? Make a list of what you want to know and ask them what you should expect from them.
- How Are You Going to Help Me? Find out how the audiologist, as well as the clinic, is going to help you through your hearing loss journey. What are their hours of operation? Costs of anything and everything (fixing a hearing aids, batteries, subsequent appointments, counselling, hearing aids)? Ensure they are willing to help you in any way they can through this journey, not only now, but in the future as well. Also make sure they make you feel comfortable with the answer to this question.
- What is the Hearing Test Like? Ask what to expect during the hearing test. Ask what specific tests they will be performing and how long they are going to take. Ask for a demonstration of the sounds and the tests. Ask to see and go over all the equipment that will be used during the tests. Make sure you feel comfortable with the equipment and the tests that will be performed.
- What Are the Results? Going over the results with the audiologist can seem stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Ask them to explain the results to you in technical and non-technical terms. It can be a bit confusing at first, but having it explained both ways will help you understand better and will also help you to explain it to others in the future better.
- Hearing Aids What Are They and How Much Do They Cost? If it is recommended you purchase hearing aids, the audiologist will go over the different types of hearing aids, manufacturers of hearing aids and the cost of hearing aids. There are many types of hearing aids and it will need to be determined what would best suit your hearing loss and lifestyle. As well, there are many types of hearing aid manufacturers and each company makes their hearing aids a little different than the rest, so go over what you require in the function and ability of your hearing aid. Make sure to go over cost of hearings aids. Check and see if you have coverage through your health benefits. The range of cost of hearing aids is wide, so be sure to invest in the one that best suits not only your needs and lifestyle, but your pocketbook as well.