Bay Minette ( 251) 937-8731

Brewton (251) 867-7711

Fairhope (251) 929-9397

Foley (251) 970-3277

Bay Minette ( 251) 937-8731

Brewton (251) 867-7711

Fairhope (251) 929-9397

Foley (251) 970-3277

Hearing Aids and Pets

Hearing Aids and Pets

The dog ate my homework is probably the most used excuse for students who didn’t turn in assignments in school.

It doesn’t make much sense – until it happens to you.

One day you’re looking at your hearing aid, a device that lets you enjoy the environment around you, and the next, you see the piece of brown hardware on the ground that used to be your hearing aid. Spot, the dog in your life, sits nearby, wagging his tail proudly.

The dog ate your hearing aid. What are you supposed to do next? Can you work without your hearing aid? Does your companion animal need to go to the vet to ensure they didn’t swallow any small components of the hearing aid?

Storing your hearing aid

It’s hard to be mad at your dog. Did you leave your hearing aid lying around? Set it on the bedside table where it could easily fall off or become victim to a curious house animal?Pets are unpredictable creatures, especially when it comes to what they can eat. Even hearing aids. Dogs have been known to chew on hearing aids, and even swallow them. Cats use them as toys.

This makes it very vital for you to know the hazards hearing aids and batteries make to your dog or cat.Hearing aids are easy to swallow and batteries are dangerous.

Signs your pet swallowed a battery

If your pet has swallowed hearing aid batteries, check for the following: red and raw tongue, whitish-gray from dead skin, heavy drooling or vomiting, quiet behavior or crying and refusal to eat or slow chewing.

Symptoms may not show for up to 12 hours. If a dog or cat punctures a battery, the liquid can damage the dog's throat or esophagus. A veterinary toxicologist, Charlotte Means, with the ASPCA, says that milk can help dilute the liquid.

If something like this happens, get your pet to the vet. If there are pieces of the hearing aid in the stomach, surgery could be necessary. Alkaline batteries can cause burns on the tongue, throat and stomach lining.

Tips to save your pet a trip to the vet

Be sure not to leave hearing aids or batters where pets can get them. Keep your hearing aid in a secure place, and out of reach. This could be in drawer, a cabinet and a closed container that are inaccessible to pets would be ideal. Do not leave the hearing aid out where the pets can reach them.

An important thing that will help your pets too is that you safely dispose of your hearing aid batteries. Local hardware and electronic stores will safely dispose of the batteries sometimes.